Saturday, February 2, 2008

San Diego

Eric had a conference in San Diego and the kids and I went down and stayed with him. We were fortunate enough to be able to use my grandpa's timeshare condo and so we were right on the beach. Unfortunately the weather wasn't beach weather. His conference was on Wed and Thurs and then he took Friday off so we could go to Sea World. The weather on Wed and Thurs was stormy adn they kept going back and forth from predicting rain on Friday and clear skies. We decided since we were able to do Disneyland in the rain we could handle Sea World. I just decided to be more prepared. I went and bought ponchos, put all of our stuff in waterproof bags, brought and extra change of clothes, warm coats. I was ready and would not be caught unawares this time. Thursday we went down to the beach and you can tell by the pictures the storm that was brewing. It was freezing down there, we managed to stay for only a few minutes before I couldn't stand it anymore. Looking at the sky I was prepared for the rain at Sea World.

Joshua is practicing for when he has to have a comb over. I think he has great hair for a comb over don't you?
So Friday morning dawns with blue skies and perfect weather. And we headed to Sea World. When we first got there a Seal and Otter show was about to start and so we headed over there. We stopped to look at the seals and Joshua was excited to see them. He just kept waving at them. It was pretty cute to watch.
After the show (which the kids didn't seem to care for but I thought it was funny) we headed to the different exhibits waiting for Shamu's show. The kids didn't seem to care about them too much. The park wasn't crowded at all and so we were able to take our time where ever we went. Before we saw Shamu's show we saw them in their viewing zone.
When we went to find seating for the show the first 16 rows were marked as a soak zone. They weren't filling up and we decided since we had our ponchos it would be fun to sit in the soak zone. We put on our ponchos and I put my waterproof jacket on Joshua and awaited the show. They show video footage of people getting wet and they really got soaked and I was rethinking sitting there, but it was too late to move. The show was very moving. Joshua watched the whole time but Lexie got bored and asked when we would leave. We told her we were going to get wet. When it came time for the soaking the area where we were sitting didn't get wet. We were somewhat bummed. From there we headed straight to the dolphin show and once again sat in the soak zone. We were ready once again with our ponchos on and the soaking happened and we got hit this time. We were drenched. The ponchos protected our clothes for the most part but our faces, hair and shirt sleeves were sopping wet. During the soaking part Joshua and Lexie both started crying--they did not like getting wet at all.
Since the soaking happened at the beginning of the show Joshua didn't enjoy the rest of it. He just sat there with this face. Lexie hated getting wet but seemed to be ok with the show.After the show we went to pet the dolphins. Lexie didn't want to but we made her. She would put her hand out there and then pull it back. When she finally pet one we let her get down. Then it was Joshua's turn. He generally loves animals so I thought he would enjoy it. He didn't.
While he was staring at the dolphins one of them sprayed water out of their blow hole and it hit Joshua in the face and this is the resulting picture. After that we decided that they had had enough and we headed home.

3 comments:

Jen said...

How fun. San Diego is such a wonderful place, too bad about the weather. Isn't it always supposed to be nice, especially when you're on vacation?

And I LOVE the pictures of your kids' faces. Totally priceless.

Emily said...

I swear I sent you my blog when I first started it. Sorry. It's not to hard to catch up though. Im trying to get better. So I am totally ready to move back to CA. I want to go to san diego, sea world and have fall in Christmas. Owell. Maybe some day. Utah is a beautiful state too, it just has no beach.

Kristalyn said...

It looks like you had a great time! Joshua's face is so sad when he got wet!! Poor little guy, at least he didn't try to get down and wander around, which is what I'm sure what Mason would do (or maybe he did and you just didn't tell us about it?)
Your kids are going to have such great memories!