Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Our Camping Experiences

I think Eric and I really like to torture ouselves. We left for Hawaii on Sunday and on Friday we went camping. I don't know what possessed us to do it. I guess we thought the kids would have a blast and we would too. I can't say that any of us really had a blast. It was just a lot of work. Don't get me wrong we did have an okay time but nothing like all of our other camping trips. We were gone for less than 24 hours but between setting up camp, taking down camp and then cleaning everything off we were exhausted and still had to pack for Hawaii.


We truly thought the kids would love to be there. But it seemed like from the moment we got there all they did was whine and cry. They both kept falling and instead of getting up and dusting themselves off they would cry. It got real old real fast. One of the times Lexie fell she landed with her hand on a piece of wood and got a really deep splinter. Of course this would be the first time I left my make up bag at home and did we bring a first aid kit. Nope. So I went around until I found some campers who looked like they might have the right stuff. THey did and I only managed to get half of it out. She cried the whole time and then did pretty good. They gave me neosporin and a bandaid that practically covered her whole hand and I was way grateful. Joshua managed to get dirty within the first 10 min. I don't know how he does it. Eric and I were losing our patience with them and we were lucky they went to bed early. after that we really enjoyed ourselves sitting by the fire (meager as it was) reading books and talking. That was by far my favorite part.

This was as big as the fire ever got.

Josh being ever so helpful
The morning after. We woke up fixed breakfast and left
This was Joshua's first time ever sleeping on a bed. We laid him down in it and then when we went to bed we found him like this. The ground was pretty hard but it didn't seem to phase him.
Eating her smore
How does one kid get so dirty?


So you would think we had learned our lesson. But no we decided to go camping with our friends the Friday we got back from vacation (we arrived home Wed. morning after a red eye flight). It ended up being a way better camping trip but we were pretty exhausted. The kids hardly cried at all. The fire was a lot bigger, there was more food and we enjoyed sitting around and talking. We went with 4 other couples from our ward. All of the kids did remarkably well. I did really have a good time but when I woke up I was ready to go home and be done with traveling.

The women camping plus Joshua. Notice how close we are all standing.
Now the men. and we forced them to sit as close as they were. Boy is there a difference between men and women.
All the kids--they don't have closeness issues.

Our family picture.
I loved the outfit Lexie picked out for herself. She looked adorable and her socks didn't get as dirty.
Someone throwing a fit.
Once again Joshua got majorly dirty. How does he do it? Can you tell the difference between the dirt and his black eye?
Once again Joshua pooping. He will go just about anywhere.

We really did have a good time. But I would say that we aren't going camping again this year. It was just too much work with too little time. But I am glad we made the effort.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I just have to say -- I LOVE THE POOPING PICTURES!! Josh cracks me up! You may have to do a blog (or at least a scrapbook page) of the different places Josh decides to poop! I just love that he always goes and finds a spot just a little bit away from everyone, and then assumes "the position". I'm going to be sad when he's potty-trained, because that's always good for a laugh!