The sink which was in the corner was very shallow and small. But even worse when you swung the faucet from sink to sink it would overlap on the counter.
All the storage space under the sink, under the window and to the dishwasher was useless as there was so much wiring and pipes down there and it was just gross looking.
The garden window was ugly and just collected dust. We didn't want to store anything there because it blocked our view of our backyard that we love.
The overhanging cabinet was so low that we had to bend down to be able to see to the other side or talk to people. It was very uncomfortable.
The cabinets were very short and so any of our larger appliances wouldn't fit in them and either had to be stored in the pantry or in the garage.
The lighting was fluorescent lighting and actually lowered the ceiling about a foot. Not to mention all the lighting were connected by extension cords plugged into one outlet. Talk about a fire hazard. How did the inspection pass with the lighting that way, I have no idea.
The stove was a huge monstrosity of a thing. It took up most of the kitchen and was always warm. It did cook very well and we could fit so much in it at once but I got so tired of how huge it was and how hard it was to clean. It was almost impossible. The gas was always lit on it so we turned off each burner (as a child safety) and had to use a lighter every time we wanted to use it.
The microwave was way to high. It was connected to the ceiling. The guy before us loved copper and everything was copper that he could do. I guess we shouldn't have changed that because at least we would have been protected from the UFO's when they came.
The white tile was a nightmare to clean. I never felt like it was clean. Partly because of the dark color grout.
And there was a musty smell in the cupboards.
Dishwasher didn't fit in and so when it broke the home warranty wouldn't cover it--because the opening was weird. Stupid home warranty (on a sidenote when they asked us if we wanted to renew we asked them why we would want to do that since they denied all of our claims and we had to pay out of pocket anyway)
So anyways that is our list of why it was a nightmare and so we decided it would only increase the value of our house and make it safer to live in to remodel it. And thus begun 6 weeks of eating out. What a hardship.
The work started the week before we left for Disney World so we were gone for almost 3 weeks of the remodel. The kids liked having the workers there all the time. Though when they first did the demolition, Lexie asked me why they wanted to ruin our kitchen. She was very upset. There were a few minor problems as there was a plumbing leak, a gas line that was all over the place, and electrical wiring that was a nightmare. But it finally got done and we love the kitchen. Though honestly I didn't really want to start cooking. I am just lazy that way.
5 comments:
Your new kitchen made me do a double-take. It is gorgeous! I have kitchen envy. I absolutely love what you did.
And good job changing out the garden window. I've never understood the purpose of those.
I really does look so much better! Totally worth the investment!
You guys are amazing!! I CANNOT believe all that you did on your kitchen. It is GORGEOUS!!!
I love what a difference it makes. You're right the new kitchen looks so much bigger even though it is in the same amount of space. Raising the ceiling is a great idea.
I would want to cook all day in a new kitchen like that.
I laugh at the old kitchen, what was someone thinking putting the split sink like that, I've never heard or seen anything like it. Who wants water on the floor?
I love our stainless steel appliances, even though they need special cleaning they seem so less cluttered.
Wow Meg. That kitchen look so good. I would love it too. I love all the space. You guys have been busy travelers. Cruises and Disney-world. I'm so jealous. And your sister's twins are adorable. Sounds like a lot of fun.
Post a Comment