I'm not one of those dad's who tries to live his life through his kids or tries to make them like what he likes. So even though I'm a huge baseball fan, I won't be disappointed if all my kids don't make it to the big leagues. In fact, I'll be satisified if only one or two of them make it. So when Lexie told me she didn't want to play tee ball, I made her sign up anyway, because how does she know she doesn't like it if she's never tried it out, right? (By the way, here in southern California, its been between 70 and 75 for most of January and February. I think winter for us happened during the first week of January. So it's been perfect weather for tee ball).
Anyway, from the moment she walked out onto the field on her first day, she has absolutely loved it. Forget princesses. Forget Disneyland. Lexie has finally found her true love in life. I am astonished at how quickly and thoroughly she has picked up on the fundamentals of baseball. I've never seen anything like it, especially from a 4 year old. Here are some pictures that show her passion for the game:
Here she is playing shortstop. There's no way a ground ball is getting past her.
Lexie is really hard on herself when she messes up...
...but a few cuss words into the mitt usually fires her up.
Look at her go after the ball!!!
Here she is playing 1st base. I think she must have just dove for the ball.
Lexie actually hit a home run with this swing. Not over the fence, but an inside-the-park home run. Actually, it was an inside-the-infield home run. No one went to get the ball after she hit it. She was rounding 2nd base by the time someone decided to pick it up, then they threw the ball to 1st. Needless to say she made it home without any problems.
4 comments:
Syd shows that same kind of natural love & talent for soccer. "Syd,open your eyes while you run" was just one of the things I never thought I would yell but watching was seriously SO MUCH FUN!
I LOVE your little Babe Ruth!
I've thought about putting my kids in sports and haven't because they would be doing the same thing!!! We've got years of this ahead of us!!
She looks so cute out there on the field. Don't give up yet, she seems to have received most every other trait Meg has, maybe there is hope she will get her athletic abilities too.
Post a Comment