Monday, March 2, 2009

Josh's Visit to the Doctor


Joshua has herpes.  When Meg called me and told me what the doctor had said, I was upset.  I had been suspicious when, after moving into our new ward, he suddenly began liking nursery. (The nursery girls in our new ward are much cuter than in our old ward).  But then Meg told me that he has oral herpes, which is a naturally occurring virus fairly common among toddlers, and I wasn't so mad any more.  Basically, he has cold sore-like things inside his mouth that are painful and the doctor told Meg that there is no medication that will cure it (since it is a virus), but that it will go away in 5-8 days.  So what we're supposed to do until then is keep him doped up on Advil and let him eat whatever he wants whenever he wants it.  If he wants ice cream for breakfast, he gets ice cream for breakfast.  Ever since I found out the doctor's prescription, I've been trying to get herpes myself.  

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, poor kid! I've never had those inside my mouth (that would be torture) but I get cold sores every 6 months or so, and have for nearly 20 years. It's awful. When he gets old enough, get him a prescription for Valtrex. It's a lifesaver.

Hmmm, is this comment TMI? Maybe.

Wendy said...

Poor Josh! I'm glad he didn't get the herpes from one of the girls in nursery, ERIC! Ha. I had to explain it to BJ because apparently he didn't get it when he read that part :).

Connie said...

Herpes? Apparently he takes after Meg with all her "action" she talks about.

Emily said...

You can never be too sure about those nursery girls! He looks so miserable! He deserves some ice cream for breakfast.