Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Happy Halloween

We have had a very busy October.  Since the middle of September we have only been home 2 weekends.  We have had a good month just very busy.  I was looking forward to Halloween but then as it got closer it kind of just crept on us.  This year to my dismay we weren't able to go to a pumpkin patch but we did manage to host our little orange and black dinner.   This year we also went to Bakersfield for Halloween.  It was the first time the kids did Halloween with grandparents.  We had a very busy day and it got dark way too soon.  We carved our pumpkins that afternoon right before the kids took a nap.  They were very excited to do it, but they sure didn't want to get their hands dirty.  I am not quite sure what they enjoyed about it, but they did have fun. 

Joshua was so happy to pull his lid off. He actually stuck his hand in for like a nanosecond.

Lexie wanted to carve the pumpkin.  I think she enjoyed doing it because she didn't have to get dirty doing it.

Joshua got bored after pulling off his lid and spent the rest of the with this bucket over his head.  He is such a ham.
The pumpkins done.  We forced the kids to pose for them and they weren't too happy about that.  Soon after they were in their beds sound asleep.
As I have mentioned in previous posts Lexie's grandma Martindale has made her most of the princess dresses.  She loves to wear them and be a princess.  A few months before Halloween she said she wanted to be Jasmine.  I jumped on that band wagon because I thought Joshua would be a cute Aladdin.  I was  also very lucky that the above mentioned grandma made Joshua his costume.  A couple weeks before Halloween Lexie no longer wanted to be Jasmine because she wanted to wear a dress and her mean Mama made her stick with the original plan.  The night of she was pretty happy with it.  I was going to dye her hair but Eric didn't want me to.  
This picture is important because if you look you will notice Joshua holding a bag of candy.  That kid has such modesty issues.  He does not like having his clothes taken  off.  It is a nightmare.  Nor does he like to wear scantily clad clothing.  He was not happy about his costume at first.  Eric and I loved it but he kept taking off his vest and pants and throwing himself on the ground.  Thus no great pictures.  For some reason my twitty kids wouldn't let us take their pictures.  Joshua only kept his costume on when we gave him that candy.  
Notice that face looking at the bowl of candy.  We decided to go through a few trial runs at the grandparents door.  
Ethan and Lexie were the party poopers of the night.  After about 10 homes they were tired and no longer wanted to go.  I made them keep going.  Come on free candy.  They could walk a few miles for that couldn't they.  The streets weren't crowded and the houses gave out good candy.  Lexie and Ethan were always on the ones to the door first and Joshua would come up lagging.  Not because he didn't want to be there but because his legs were shorter.  
If you notice Joshua is holding his bucket behind him.  That is because it was heavy for his little arms and yet he wouldn't let us carry it for him.  He clutched that bucket even has it clanged the back of his legs with every step.  He was the one who kept going when the other kids climbed into the car.  I was proud to be his mom.  If you notice he has no shirt on under his vest.  That is because it wasn't cold.  You have to love California Halloweens.
Lexie with her candy.  Joshua wouldn't cooperate with us taking a picture.  He just wanted to eat his candy.  

And what better way to end the night than have a ton of sugar and be completely hyper and run into a wall and get your first bloody nose. 

8 comments:

Emily said...

I love the costumes, especially Aladin. I have to push Cade to keep going every year. I just don't get it. I'm with you...free candy.
By the way Joshua has amazing hair! It is golden and perfect!

Jen said...

Those costumes are adorable. What a cute idea. And it's sad Joshua got a bloody nose, but that picture and caption are hilarious.

Kristalyn said...

I loved reading about your Halloween. For the first time that I ever remember, Colorado wasn't freezing, so we got to enjoy trick-or-treating more. You guys look like you had a lot of fun.

Beth said...

The costumes are awesome. Can I hire Grandma Martindale? I have a little drama queen who wants every princess dress. :) Don't you love how kids never quite cooperate for the pictures you want? We had professional ones done with all 3 for the first time and it was an adventure to say the least.

In response to your previous comments - I don't get to see my husband for almost 5 weeks. It's been almost 3 now, so we're on the home stretch. As for all of our adventures - it's just that I try to keep us as busy as possible so that I won't think about how lonely it is without him here. I have to say - the transition to 3 has been easier for me than adjusting to 2. Anyway, happy Halloween - your kids are so cute! :)

Cory CL said...

You're a Mom! You're a mom with two little kids! OK, so I have three of my own, but it's so weird to see you with you're darling children and husband and realize that it's little Meg Stewart, um I mean Martindale...
Just stalking by...found your blog through Lori's...we're all connected...somehow! Tell Sarah I said Hello! Hope all is well, keep in touch!

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

How fun to have the coordinated costumes. You are one lucky granddaughter-in-law!

Jess said...

Such cute pics!! I can't believe how old your kids are getting. That means.....we're getting old too! No!!! I love that last pic with his bloody nose. Funny story.

Linsi said...

So cute! I think it's funny that he kept taking it off. Bryce's bucket got really heavy and he wouldn't let me carry it for him either.