Thursday, October 9, 2008

Joshua Turns Two

Joshua has officially turned two on Oct. 2.  We had cake and ice cream with our friends on the night of his birthday.  Joshua loves anything with wheels.  His mind is so one track when it comes to cars and so he got a car cake.  I didn't want to do anything elaborate and so I found this easy car cake recipe.  They aren't perfect but Joshua LOVED them. 
 
I made them while Josh was taking his nap and when he woke up this is his reaction.  He sat in front of them until we had dinner and then he went back to them as soon as he ate his dinner.  He loved looking at them and especially touching them.  But I was just happy he was so happy with them.  
This is pretty much how Joshua was found every time we turned our backs.  He couldn't keep his fingers out of the blue one.  That is why we decided to let him blow out the candles on that one.  The green car could be for the adults.  

I had been practicing with him on how to blow and every time I would tell him to blow he would with a lot of spit mixed into it.  Fortunately, when it came down to the real thing there was very little spittle that ended up on the cake.  

He chowed down on that cake.  I think his piece was gone before any of the adults had theirs.  

After we opened presents the kids went off and played and the adults (men mainly) were able to watch the VP debate.  When it was time to clean up the parents were all doing different things in picking up the house.  I didn't see some of the kids and walked into the kitchen and this is what I found. Smart kids.  Even after all the other kids got down Joshua stayed up there eating.  He ate it until there was only one tiny piece left.  And yes we let him since it was his birthday. 
These are our friends who came to share in Joshua's birthday.  


We celebrated the next day with my family in Bakersfield.  My mom made the cake and the kids helped decorate it in a tic tac toe design.  I tried to get Lexie to play with me as we decorated but she wouldn't do it and then Joshua only wanted to put the m&m's where they weren't suppose to go.  He was a pro at blowing the candles, after we finished the song he blew once and they were out.  


One of Joshua's many "wheels" that he got.   He was in seventh heaven the rest of the night.  We also played the Happy Birthday game we played at Lexie's birthday  except we called it Happy Halloween and the kids had so much fun we played it every night we were there.  My dad was not to happy about that.  The game caused to much of a work out with him trying to get out of his seat quickly.  Also unfortunately my dad's name was pumpkin and it was one of the few names the kids remembered so he was pretty much called all the time.  We all had a great time laughing each night playing the game.  

The party goers at my parent's house.  

So  I should add here that Joshua officially started his terrible two phase the day after his birthday when he drew on my parents newly painted kitchen wall with marker, then the next day coloring on their couch with marker, and then the last day coloring on the counter, kitchen door, bar stools with permanent marker.  I was not a happy camper--but I will say that the Magic Eraser is a great thing.  It got the permanent maker off the door and the counters. 

7 comments:

Jen said...

Again with the amazing cakes. You make me so jealous. Are those hard to make? You did a great job--I love the bright colors on the cars. And what a good idea to have your kids practice before blowing out candles. Genius.

BJ said...

man meg, you have mad skills with cakes. I made that one a few years ago one day when I liked cars. It turned out pretty good. Then I ate it.

Josh is way cute. The way he was looking at the cake all the time was classic.

And the guys watching the VP debate? Yeah right. Like they even know what's going on in the world today...

Kristalyn said...

I can't believe that you didn't think those car cakes were elaborate! I'm sure they would take me the whole day, and then they would not look nearly as nice! Good job! I always love reading your posts and hearing about the fun things that you are doing. I can't believe that Joshua drew over so many things with markers! They always seem to be able to find exactly what you don't want them to play with!

Emily said...

I love the cakes! It's great that he sat and wathced it, it makes it so worth it.
Yikes permanent marker! That is such a pain. I don't understand kids fasination with drawing all over the house.

Beth said...

Meg, the cakes are amazing. I'm totally impressed! I love that he didn't take his eyes off of them. What a fun mom you are!

Laura said...

I'm going to feel like such a loser if I can't put out a creative birthday cake like the rest of the Stewart women. Looks like I should start practicing now. Super cute.

BJ said...

so cute! (this is actually wendy, by the way. I'm too lazy to sign bj out). apparently i drew a line all around the room with a permanent marker and blamed it on my imaginary "naughty" baby. (When I was Josh's age of course.)