Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Latest Project

If anyone were to ask me if I were a creative person I would always say no. In college my roommate Leticia helped me do any projects that involved any creativity or style, Eric is the one who decorated our house (he will kill me for saying that), scrapbooking seemed so overwhleming to me because the pages I saw were so elaborate and beautiful and I honestly could never do something like that, and I never tried sewing because it is just seemed too hard. Then a few years ago I learned that I do have a form of creativity. I am a great copier. Yep. If someone else has done all the imagination work I can copy it and do it for myself. I scrapbook now using Becky's sketches and I pretty much copy her layouts exactly. I started sewing quiet books but I had patterns to copy. I was becoming quite the domestic.

Then last year my mom and my sister (who are majorly talented) picked out material for me to make Lexie a quilt. To me, the hard work is picking out the material. So since they did that, I was able to sew it and I found I really enjoyed doing it. Though I must admit the reason it turned out so well is because of the material. So at Christmas time all the girls in my family (minus Rose) were in a craft store and I saw embroidered patterns of a cowboy. There were 8 in the package and there was a quilt displaying someone's finished product. I thought it was so cute that I decided to make Joshua a quilt using the embroidered squares. The patterns reminded me of Joshua and he was a cowboy for Halloween when he was 3 weeks old so it seemed to fit. Anyway, I got help from all the talented women in my family, Sarah, Wendy, Laura and my mom to pick out material and then I was able to start embroidering. It took me about 6 hours per embroidered square and I did 16, which meant Eric and I did a lot of movie watching when the kids went to bed. Then while I was at my parents this last time I pieced it all together and finished it. I am quite proud of it because I did all the embroideries by myself and I think it turned out really cute. It was a lot of hard work and just as I sat down to sew the backing on (the last step) the sewing machine I was using broke. So I switched to a different one and that one broke too. Believe me I was a little more than frustrated. But it is now done. I must also add that even though I am now better at creativity, decorating the house is still beyond me and Eric still does it.


The finished product.
These are some of the embroidered squares. They aren't perfect so don't look too close. Isn't the cowboy print cute?



12 comments:

Teresa said...

Way to go, Meg!!! It turned out SO CUTE!! And you thought you weren't talented...

Jen said...

All I can say is wow. I am SO impressed. Especially that you did all that embroidery! It's such an adorable quilt, even more so because you made it. I love the cowboys. Well done indeed.

I think the weirdest thing about growing up and finally truly nesting has been, for me, to have a desire to own a sewing machine (gasp!) and actually make things. But I'm with you, it's so hard for me to be creative and actually start projects.

The quilt is awesome. You should be very proud.

Linsi said...

It's beautiful Meg! I don't think I could ever make something look that nice. I made Bryce a clown costume for Halloween one year, and it took FOREVER because I kept sewing the arms together or backwards. I think I did more unpicking than actual sewing.

Beth said...

WOW, Meg!!! That's amazing!! You've got to be super proud of a project like that. While my kids were away from a couple of weeks I pulled out my sewing machine that my parents bought me during college and attempted once again to get the hang of it. About 3 days into it I called my mom and told her I was retiring from sewing. :) She says to bring it down next time I visit and she'll help me - I'm just not convinced that I'm capable, though. So, I can definitely appreciate the impressiveness of your project - way to go!

Kristalyn said...

You've given me hope...I feel the EXACT same way as you do about creativity...at Girl's Camp, my projects always turned out terrible...that quilt makes me want to take up quilting and make my boys cute special quilts too...next time I get a chance, I'm going to look for a cute pattern even though I think the last time I touched a sewing machine was in 7th grade. You are amazing!

Rheanna said...

I love it Meg, way to go! I can't believe the time that you spent on it. What a great project. It makes me want to spend more time on the projects I have...just seeing someone finish something gives me hope!

Beth said...

By the way....do you have any quiet book patterns that are on the web or could be scanned at all? I'd love to have my mom give that a try (remember, I retired from sewing). :)

Laura said...

That is a masterpiece.

Jess said...

I am SO proud of you! I am just like you. I'm not good at many things but I can copy someone no problem! Nice job!!

Wendy said...

First off, this is Rose, not Wendy, and second off....whats with the "all the talented girls in our family helped, Sarah, Mom, Wendy, and Laura." What the heeeeck??? Minus me there ARE NO other girls in the family!!! What's with the unequality here??? Are you forgetting WHO watched your kids while you did this project?? Yes, that's right me. :))) So I AM talented...just not in girlie stuff like you and everyone else...:p But I'm sure I COULD be if I WANTED to. :)

Wendy said...

First off, this is Rose, not Wendy, and second off....whats with the "all the talented girls in our family helped, Sarah, Mom, Wendy, and Laura." What the heeeeck??? Minus me there ARE NO other girls in the family!!! What's with the unequality here??? Are you forgetting WHO watched your kids while you did this project?? Yes, that's right me. :))) So I AM talented...just not in girlie stuff like you and everyone else...:p But I'm sure I COULD be if I WANTED to. :)

Meg said...

Rose if I recall you didn't watch my kids when I picked out the material and that is where I was saying they were talented. Plus I had to pay you while I was sewing so that is talent that is just greed. But you are talented in ways I can't be ex. you text like a maniac, you are always getting out of seminary or school (oh wait that was my talent), you can put contacts in. See so don't think you have talent.