Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dance Class


This year we signed Lexie up for a dance class. It was nothing spectacular and I didn't expect much from it since it was cheap through the parks and rec. but she really enjoyed it. Well at least after the first few weeks that is. The first few weeks I would be yelling at her to participate and stop crying. These are Lexie's friends from church. They also happened to be the only white girls in the class
Lexie really enjoyed the dance class and they even had a recital at the end. We had to pay $15 for a costume. I thought it was going to be something like a tutu that the whole class would wear to look alike. We were actually at Disney World when the costumes were handed out and a friend of mine picked Lexie's up. You can imagine my surprise when I saw the dang costume and it was....

...THIS.


Lexie in the recital. She did nothing but sit on this plastic sheet in her not so attractive costume.

Now come on what does this costume have to do with ballet anyway. It was so ridiculous. When she first saw it she got mad because she wanted to put her dance clothes on. How do you explain to a 3 year old that this is her new dance clothes. Not to mention it didn't really fit her and so she kept getting merfs.

Here she is with her friends who were bunnies. Their costumes were better but not by much. I found out after the recital when we returned the costumes (without getting our money back) that the dang dance teacher had made them 20 years earlier. That explains the ugliness. They truly were horrendous. Explain to me why I had to pay $15 for it. Anyways it put such a sour taste in my mouth that I didn't sign her up again. I just let her dance around the house in cute costumes.

Am I over reacting or are these costumes as hideous as I think especially for a ballet recital. I think the reason it took me so long to post this one is because I am still upset if you can't tell. Oh well she really did enjoy the class.

5 comments:

Kristalyn said...

I can't believe that they charged you 15 dollars and you had to return it...and it was 20 years old! You are totally not overreacting. Little girls want to look like princesses or at least ballet dancers when they are in a recital. How annoying! Did the recital have anything to do with green monsters?

Wendy said...

Ha! Ha! I had some interesting costumes during my 11 years in ballet...but this one takes the cake! I have to admit, I burst out laughing when I scrolled down and saw it! =D Sorry, I'm probably not helping the situation!!!

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

I would be upset, too! But it's pretty hilarious that it gave her merfs!

Emily said...

I love the dance pictures. They remind me of Aubreys dance class, but the funny (or sad)thing is in her class there is only one non-white girl.

Linsi said...

I'd be so mad if I had to pay for a costume the teacher made twenty years earlier. Though you have good blackmail during the teenage years with the pic of Lexie and her green dance costume :)

I love your idea of making blocks for cakes. That is something Bryce would love. sounds like she had a fun birthday!

Happy Mother's Day!