Sunday, May 10, 2009

We Got the Kids Back

Okay so here is my first post since getting the kids back.  Eric was missing the kids a lot and so on Monday we drove up to my parents so we could spend a few days there and see the kids.  And then we brought them home with us on Friday.  I was missing the kids too but was just not feeling up to dealing with them.  It is so hard to move and the thought of having to take care of two extra people overwhelmed me more than I can say.  But Eric knew that when we got them back he would be the one dealing with them as well as still taking care of me and Ryan.  But he said he was up for the challenge and we would still have my family to help us while we were there.  

When we first got there the kids were so excited to see Ryan.  Lexie could barely contain herself.  She wanted to hold him so bad.  Joshua was excited and actually handled meeting Ryan better than I thought he would.  He just kept rubbing his head and saying "My Baby Ryan".  He is actually pretty gentle with him and tries to help out.  At first he didn't want to hold him but that wore off after a few hours.  It is pretty funny, when Ryan is crying and we can't get right to him Joshua will start yelling "Stop Ryan, Stop"  or "It's okay".    Lexie fights with us to hold Ryan all the time.  She has been super helpful and really takes care of him.  It has been overwhelming to have them back because I can't do too much for them and it makes me feel useless--but Eric has been extremely supportive and does pretty much everything.  I don't know what I would have done without him the last 2 weeks and am really depressed that he goes back to work tomorrow.  Fortunately my mom is coming down the first half of the week and my dad the second to continue helping.  I have no idea what I would do without all the help I have received.  Now onto the pictures.  

First time Joshua held Ryan.  
I had to put this in for my sake.  For a few days there I was taking all of this medicine.  It was 12 pills at one time.  Believe me not fun.  
This picture is important because of the "plug" (or pacifier).  Eric doesn't like our kids to have one and is adamant that they not get one until they are at least a week old because he doesn't want nipple confusion.  That isn't really rationale since we start giving our kids a bottle the day they get home from the hospital and he is not afraid of nipple confusion with that.  So this is a significant picture because this kid takes a plug and Eric is bummed but it hasn't stopped him from giving it to him.  Ryan is a strong sucker and likes to have it in his mouth.  I on the other hand like plugs so I was excited when he finally got it.  
This is the dog the kids made for him at Build a Bear.  Right now the dog is bigger than Ryan but I am sure he will become attached to it just like his siblings have become attached to their dogs.  
First meeting Ryan.
Lexie first holding Ryan

Lexie is such a little helper and is constantly checking on Ryan and comforting him.  I had laid him down and came back a few minutes later and Lexie had covered him  with these blankets.  At first it was just the one but then she was afraid his head was getting cold.  Doesn't he look sweet?
Just sleeping soundly
I didn't realize it until I was looking at Eric holding Ryan but they matched so of course I had to get a picture.  This picture is also significant because we were alone with our kids for the first time Friday.  They had been with my mom for almost 2 weeks and no serious injuries or anything.  Then the first morning we have the kids to ourselves Joshua does this (on Eric's duty I should add).  Then the next morning he scraped up his elbow, and then this morning he fell off a box and bit through his tongue on both sides.  I don't think we remember how to parent active kids.
Lexie again holding Ryan.  She is very good at carrying him from one person to the next which really helps since I don't get up very well.  
This is our five year old.  I don't think I ever mentioned that Lexie turned 5 while she was staying with my parents.  She was suppose to be back with us by her birthday but I still wasn't feeling well and my mom thought it would be easier to keep them with her.  So she threw Lexie a wonderful birthday with one day notice.  She let Lexie choose what she wanted to do and she chose a picnic at the park with her cousin.  She wanted to have red and blue cupcakes and fortunately the store had them and she also went out and bought presents for Lexie so she wouldn't feel like she was getting shafted.  Lexie loved her birthday and was so excited the whole day.  But I did make the mistake of telling her that Eric and I also had presents for her because that was when she started "missing" us.  She wanted her presents.  So when we first got to Bakersfield and she saw Ryan and held him the next words out of her mouth were where are my presents.  She is so my child.  

Anyways here are the going ons of our family.  Ryan is thriving.  He is more awake and sleeps pretty good.  The kids are being helpful and sweet.  They are being patient with having a less than active mom who has a hard time holding them because of them touching my stomach.  But we are surviving.  I just have to figure out how to lose this gut in 4 weeks without moving.  Any ideas because I am pretty sure it is impossible.  You see we are now going to Hawaii instead of Mexico.  Thanks to the swine flu.  But either way I was going to have to get into a swimsuit.  At least in Hawaii you can get away with mumu's.  

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Those pictures are so cute! I can't wait to hold Ryan in a few weeks! I loved the reactions of Lexie and Josh too. And HOORAY for Ryan taking a plug!!!!!

Jess said...

He is so cute. I'm glad you had such a nice break to heal. The kids were probably so excited to see baby Ryan!!

Kristalyn said...

I love that picture of Ryan covered in blankets! Lexie is so sweet! That picture of her in front of the flowers is gorgeous! Hopefully you are starting to feel better. I wish I knew the magic way to get rid of the baby gut...if you find out, let me know!

Leticia said...

Meg he is so cute!!! You're a trooper! People have congratulated me for going all natural but I think C-section has to be worse. Hang in there. Ryan in adorable.