Saturday, May 24, 2008

Chaperoning

My older sister Sarah is a high school English teacher who took 200 gate kids to see Wicked on Tuesday.  She had some extra tickets for me and 2 of my friends to go if we would be chaperones.  She informed me that these kids weren't the normal gate kids and that their listening skills weren't great and I wouldn't be able to sit with my friends because we would be chaperones and so on and so on.  I was ok with it all because I was getting to see Wicked for free (Eric had no desire to see it and so this worked out perfectly).  I didn't have to be the theatre until 7:30 and then I did get to sit with one of my friends and the kids did awesome and so I was actually able to sit through an awesome play with a friend without paying and did no chaperoning whatsoever.  When the show was over my friends and I got to leave and drive the 15 min. to our house.  While my sister and the other chaperones had to gather the kids together, get them on the buses and ride for 2 hours home.  Not to mention the trip up they stopped at a McDonald's to eat and were driving in mid 80 degree weather on dumb school buses.  They didn't get home until close to 3am.  So I have to say I had a pretty cush job as a chaperone and am glad I didn't have to drive up with them.  And Wicked was great.  I absolutely loved it.  It was so funny and I didn't expect that.  I recommend it to everyone.  So thanks to my sister for letting me come.  

3 comments:

Emily said...

Oh how fun. Im so jealous. It sounds like you got the better end of the deal. Although Im sure wicked would have been worth driving in a hot bus for 2 hours with a bunch of gate kids... well maybe.

Jess said...

That's awesome you got to see it for free! I saw it in NYC when I was there last year and it was awesome. I never get free hook ups like that though. Are you guys having nice weather yet? It's still NOT hot here yet. I'm getting angry. I want nice weather!!

Jen said...

Yea, I'm so glad you got to see it! It's so much better than you expect, huh. And I hear Pantages is such a cool theater. How nice you live so close to it and got to avoid the long drive in a bus. Buses suck.